Tuesday, July 6, 2004

My computer has 9 lives!

Yesterday afternoon, my laptop came into contact with some orange juice and stopped working! Well at first the touchpad didn't work since that is where the orange juice dripped. Then my laptop screen stopped working. My laptop has come into contact with a lot of roughing and other liquids in the past four years and has never stopped working so I could not believe what was happening!
I had no idea what to do so I drove to BestBuy for some computer help/repair. They said my warranty expired so they couldn't really help me too much, but they would back up my hard drive for $60. I came home without getting the backup since I had to weigh my options. I figured my computer was dead because I can't open my laptop and dry the inside or repair the parts myself. Getting a backup of the hard drive would probably be a good idea because I have a lot of files, songs, and pictures I want to keep. I was wondering how I would manage not having a computer for my last year of grad school. I rely on my computer and use it a lot and going to a computer lab a few times a day did not seem like a good option. After trying to find a really cheap computer on ebay that would last a year, I decided I couldn't afford it.
None of my options seemed that great, so I decided to start my laptop for the 5th time since the incident. I assumed it wouldn't work again after many failed attempts, but this time there was a flicker in the screen. After a few more tries, my laptop got closer and closer to booting up properly. Miraculously, this morning it seems to be in working condition. I'm hoping this laptop works until I graduate, then who knows, maybe I'll sell it on ebay :)

No comments:

Post a Comment