Friday, May 21, 2004

Michigan weather

The weather here has been crazy. Last night it started raining and lightning all night. There were also bits of thunder in there. While I was sitting on my bed typing away on my laptop, my house started to shake during a few of the really intense thunder rumbles. I don't think I've felt that before! Matt called me a little after midnight from Ann Arbor letting me know that there was a tornado warning for his county. Washtenaw County is kitty-corner to my county, Oakland County. His family had to go in the basement. Our county didn't get a tornado warning, but in the middle of the night the rain was so loud that I woke up to it banging on the roof. This afternoon I watched the 12:00 news to see if there was any damage. Many towns near the Detroit area were flooded. Channel 4 showed pictures of streets such as Telegraph near I-94 closed because the water was too deep to drive through. The weather man said the rain dumped last night is the equivalent of getting 4ft of snow in one hour, if it were winter! Wow! Three houses were struck by lightning. One of the houses looked okay from the outside, except for a baseball-sized hole in the roof. Then the camera went inside and the whole second floor was burned! We actually have more systems of storms coming in one by one. Because of all the rain that it will bring in, we have a flood warning until tomorrow.
It is fascinating how the weather can be so peacful and calm one day and then powerful and destructive the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment