Thursday, June 17, 2004

"Travel is fatal to narrow-mindedness" -Mark Twain

This week has been pretty hectic. I have a miderm in one of my classes tomorrow so even though I am prepared, I always become stressed, anxious, and nervous for it. The midterm for my other class is next Wednesday so at least the tests are spaced out far enough so I don't have to study for two subjects at a time.
The weekend after next I'll get a mini-vacation since I'm flying to Boston. Some things I want to see are Boston Harbor, Harvard's campus, Quincy Market, the Boston Tea Party memorial, and Matt and I want to eat at the Cheesecake Factory. With all the travelling I've done, I'm surprised I've never been to Boston.
Since as long as I can remember my parents have always planned 1-2 family trips a year. One always coincides with the GM shutdown. This is a two week period around July 4th where virtually all GM offices and plants are shutdown to conserve energy and save money. If we take a second trip, it'll usually be around spring break or winter break, etc. Because of this, my siblings and I have been to tons of states and countries including Alaska, Hawaii, France, the Netherlands, India, Thailand, the Bahamas and Japan. Here's a picture of my sister and I in Bangkok, Thailand. Buddhism is a major part of Thai life and so we are posing here with some Thai women who work in one of the many temples there.



Many people are amazed that my family has travelled to so many places. One thing I love about Matt is that he too has travelled extensively so I'm sure we'll take trips in the future. Many people say they are well travelled if they've been to Europe, but forget that there are other countries and continents that are so different from Europe and the U.S. that saying you've "seen the world" is so wrong. I gained an appreciation for different customs and religions while travelling, which is why one of my favorite quotes is "travel is fatal to narrow-mindedness."
Before I retire I would like to see South America (possibly Brazil or Argentina), Australia, Greece, Russia, and probably a hundred more places!

No comments:

Post a Comment