I used to read Judy Blume books when I was younger. Her books are really good and most of them deal with adolescent issues. The other day I read that her books were and still are controversial; I never knew they were since I had no problems having my parents buy me her books. I think we even read Superfudge in elementary school, but the controversy probably lies in her young adult books like Just as Long as we're Together, and Are you there God, it's me Margaret. Those books deal with puberty and such, which is still not a good reason to hide them from teenagers. Anyway, I found an interesting quote from Blume that I never thought of before. I always hear that we need to take a side on an issue, and changing your mind is looked at as weak, but Blume thinks differently: "Changing your mind is underrated. Lots of people are proud of the way they stand firm on an issue once they've made a decision. But what you should really take pride in is the ability to change the way you think when change is due. Never scorn a possible friend or a new experience without giving it a fair trial. If you keep examining your preconceptions and from time to time go out of your way to try something you always said you hated, your mind will stay young forever." That's a good quote.
In other news, I had a great lesson today. My students understood it and they even had time to finish most of their homework in class, woo hoo. I only have one week and two more days of teaching there. I will miss the kids, but not the waking up and driving in rush hour part!
No comments:
Post a Comment