Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Labor Day weekend plans

Last weekend, Erin took Courtney, Steph and I to a Wayne State Med School party. The goal of the party was to raise money for funeral costs for one of the students who unexpectedly died. It was sad to know the events behind the fundraiser, although, I'm glad I could help. It was also nice to see my college friends after a long time.

I had a few interviews and am waiting for responses. I'm not feeling too frustrated anymore (although I still am) because after talking to some people at the Bloomfield workshop last week, I feel like I'm on top of my game! The girls I met have been waiting several years for a job while I've only been waiting for a summer. One of the girls said she waited two years to get into the subbing system! I haven't had any problems getting into districts.

On the housing front, Matt and I haven't really found a place we like. We are still looking though. We have been pre-approved for a mortgage so now we can search around and make appts for house showings. We've been advised not to get a realtor until we find a place we like because sometimes the realtors aren't entitled to show certain houses and like to push their own properties. Even though my parents were not sure if this was the right time for us to get a house, they have been very supportive. They realize we are really serious, ready, and not to mention the house prices have come down, so that's always a plus. They offered to tour any house we're interested in and help us make an offer. My dad said we can low ball the offer b/c people are getting desperate to sell. Matt and I are being picky though, but I think that's good so we don't settle for something we only kind of like. We have narrowed our cities down and no matter where we find our house within the cities, our commutes will be minimal since Matt works in Troy and the districts I'm applying to are in a 20 minute radius.

This upcoming weekend, Matt and I don't really have any plans. I want to check out Arts, Beats, and Eats. I feel like I've missed many Michigan events while being in AA since most of the "state-wide" events are around metro-Detroit (although I like the AA Art Fair). I haven't been to the State Fair, Arts Beats and Eats, July 4th Fireworks on the River, etc. in several years. My freshman year at UM, my friends tried to go to the Arts Beats and Eats to see Blessed Union of Souls' free concert, but one of my friends was tired of trying to find the place since we had bad directions so we ended up turning back. This Friday, Blessed Union of Souls and Verve Pipe are giving free concerts so hopefully I won't miss it again! There are art exhibits and great restaurants setting up booths also.

My mood is scared b/c I may have seen a cricket in the apt. I swung at it and think I killed it, but there is no body to be found!

No comments:

Post a Comment