Wednesday, July 13, 2005

War of the Worlds

I forgot to mention that Matt and I saw "War of the Worlds" the other day. If you don't want me to spoil the ending then don't read on....

I thought it was a pretty good movie. I heard from a lot of people, including my brother, that the ending wasn't done very well. Because I knew this going into the movie, I think my expectations were lower than others, and I ended up very much enjoying the movie. Speilberg and Cruise usually do a good job and so the special effects were awesome and the acting was good. Dakota Fanning is usually annoying to me so that wasn't any different. I can't deny that she is pretty good for her age, but her shrieking throughout the movie made me more and more annoyed with her. I wish they had developed the whole "bacteria is what caused the downfall" plot. I mean they alluded to the fact that the germs caused it, but it wasn't certain unless you really knew beforehand. I thought it was the birds that made the machines fall at one point when Cruise was crazily yelling at an officer to notice the birds pecking at the shields. Anyway, the plot is really amazing and intersting to think about. And I did like the ending when the narrator, Morgan Freeman, says:

"From the moment the invaders arrived, breathed our air, ate, and drank, they were doomed. They were undone, destroyed, after all of man's weapons and devices had failed, by the tiniest creatures that God and his wisdom put upon this earth. By the toll of a billion deaths, man had earned his immunity, his right to survive among this planet's infinite organisms. And that right is ours against all challenges. For neither do men live nor die in vain."

No comments:

Post a Comment