I was inspired by Jacqueline to create this list. I know that my son will eventually make his own decisions, but I do know from all the articles I have read that parents have the strongest impact on their kids' lives and I want to give him the best life possible. Here are some things I hope to teach my son:
To play an instrument: I believe learning to play an instrument has so many benefits. One of my masters papers was the effects of music on learning. Learning to play music improves math and reading scores. It also boosts confidence and social skills (if you're in a band or orchestra). Since Matt and I both grew up playing instruments, I hope that my son will also love and appreciate music as much as we do.
To respect women: The greatest men in my life - Matt, my dad and my brother are all very patient, calm and respectful. I highly believe that nice guys finish first. The aggressive, bad-boy image may seem appealing to some, but with it comes a host of questionable behavior. I expect my son to treat his future wife like a princess and treat all women with respect.
To respect Everyone: Going forward, I want my son to respect everyone. I think that each generation is more accepting and broad minded than the generation before. If that is the case, I have a lot of hope for my son's generation. We have come a long way in this country, even in the past 40 years. Although Matt and I may not agree with everyone on every issue, we respect different views and opinions. I also expect my son to have manners, which is a sign of respect.
To stand his ground: I hope my son has strong values and holds true to them. That is not to say that I hope he becomes a priest. I just want him to stand up for what he believes in, even if the person he is standing up to is me.
To value hard work and money: My parents instilled in me the idea that money only comes with hard work. At an early age, I knew that every dollar should be spent wisely, not frivolously. I want to give my son everything I had and more, but I also want him to know that hard work and saving are key to a financially happy life. Living above your means and buying more than you can afford is never a good idea.
To love learning: As a teacher, I have found that my best students aren't genetically smart, they make learning fun. I know that sounds very "after-school special" but it is true! The students that complain and roll their eyes forget to make the most of their time and end up hating class even more. If my son is going to be in school for most of his adolescent life, I hope he enjoys it.
To love life: Matt and I are always planning trips; this is our way of loving life to the fullest. We love to see new places and people and like to come out of our Midwestern bubble from time to time. Since we've been together, we have been to Mexico, Jamaica, Japan, Italy, and a bunch of states. Not to mention all of the countries and cities before we knew each other. I want to take my son on trips to open his eyes to the world out there.
I know this list is setting high expectations, but I don't expect my son to be perfect. I just want him to be a good and happy person. Parenthood terrifies me and excites me. I think all I can do is be a great role model and hope I teach him well.
I love your post, Reena. SO inspiring. Baby H is fortunate to have you and Matt as parents :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Erika!
ReplyDelete