Monday, March 9, 2009

Fiddler on the Roof

Yesterday we went to see Fiddler on the Roof at the Detroit Opera House. I have been wanting to see this since my high school performed the musical when I was a sophomore. The songs are amazing and I think that is what makes it so popular. The play featured Topol, the original Tevye, in his last tour. I was a little skeptical of a 74 year old playing the role, but he was amazing and I assume the reason for the shows being sold out.

And the Detroit Opera House is one of the few glorious buildings in the city where you can tell it was built in Detroit's heyday. I have been there several times but it never fails to impress me and I can't imagine how impressive it really was in the 20's and before. I always have love for Detroit, although it is somewhat of a wasteland now, but I hope someday the city will be just like the Opera House - beautiful and something worth seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment