Friday, August 29, 2008

The proverbial Glass Ceiling is cracking

Although I still don't have the highest opinion of politicians, this year's election will certainly be more interesting. Obviously the incumbent can't win since he is nearing the end of his last term, so it'll be a refreshing change, whoever wins. I am glad the era of Bill Clinton and the Bushes are over since they have been in office since I was born and I am now in my mid 20s. Sheesh.

A more interesting and ground breaking fact is that we have an African American and a woman on the two major party tickets. For Obama, I don't think it is only surprising to say that the presidential nominee is black, but an ethnic minority. As for Palin, it is surprising that it has taken so long to have another woman on the ticket since Ferraro in '84. Many countries have already had women presidents! And we're talking about a majority group- women are in the majority!



Although it will probably be a long time before I see someone of Indian descent at the podium (although Bobby was somewhat close), I think it is very important to see different people in important roles so that American youth, most of them not being white and male, have more hope and more motivation to make a difference.

I don't think that people should be picked based on their race/sex/religion and do think that the most qualified should be picked. And I do believe that we have pretty qualified members on both tickets. I like how each ticket has a young and old person to combine experience with fresh new ideas. Do I think that the picks could have been better? Yes. Am I still happy with my choices? Yes.

Hopefully, in the future, it will not be a big deal what race/sex/religion the candidate is when it becomes commonplace to pick different people. For now, it's nice to make it known that people are lifting their prejudices and becoming more open-minded.

I heard that in this election the most undecided demographic are women 25-50 and right now, as an independent, I have no idea who I am voting for! Usually it's pretty obvious to me. The most important issues to me right now are the economy, education, and foreign oil/other sources of energy. It's time for me to do some research!

No comments:

Post a Comment