Thursday, May 18, 2006

Book Reviews

The only nice thing about being a sub is that once I leave school everyday, there is no extra work I need to do afterwards so I have time to read! I also subscribe to UsWeekly and Glamour so I have plenty to read in my spare time!

I finished a few books in the past few weeks. I read The DaVinci Code, The Devil Wears Prada, and The Wedding. The DaVinci Code was good. It was easy to tell what was fact and fiction and I'm not even Christian. I don't know why Christian leaders are afraid the book might sway followers to turn their backs on their beliefs. If a fictitious book can do that, then the believers weren't very faithful in the first place. I, myself, enjoy conspiracy theories so the book was entertaining to the point where I thought Dan Brown did an amazing job trying to line up his story with historical documents. I will be seeing this movie. I told Matt, perhaps this could be the first movie I see once I have "perfect eyes!"

The Devil Wears Prada is definitely a chick lit book, but really well done. I love fashion and having the main character work for a fashion magazine owner was really cool. I am excited to see this movie when it comes out this summer. I can totally see Meryl Streep playing the "Devil." Even though the fashion assistant is supposed to be blonde, I'm glad Anne Hathaway is playing Andy. I hope the movie is almost as good as the book! I say "almost" because I think books are virtually always better than their movies.

The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks was sappy, but good. It's the follow-up book to The Notebook so I anticipated high sappiness levels. The book is about an older couple whose kids have all grown up and they are not in love anymore. With the kids suddenly gone, they have to learn to live together as a couple and not a family. They are both unhappy and the husband decides to try and make his wife fall in love with him all over again. The pair could totally be Matt and I in 30 years! Not because of the unhappiness! Because the husband is a lawyer, the wife is a teacher, and their personalities are similar to ours. There is a happy ending so it wouldn't be all that bad if it were really us!

Some other movies I want to see this summer: X-Men, Pirates (The preview didn't look good, but b/c the first one was good, I'll give this one a try), Click, Over the Hedge. Going to the movies is getting super expensive so I wouldn't mind waiting for these to come out on DVD and just seeing DaVinci Code and Devil in the theater.

I didn't get called to sub today. It's senior exam day and their last day so I have a feeling that's why most teachers are in school. I need to go to the library today and pick up new books. I also am closing my account at Comerica. I saved enough for the surgery and now I'll transfer that into our joint account so I can pay for it using my Disney Card!

I thought these were funny. I got them from Erika's blog.

1. YOUR ROCK STAR NAME: (first pet and current street) Brenda Troy Center Drive...that doesn't sound very rock star to me

2. YOUR MOVIE STAR NAME: (grandfather/grandmother on your mother's side, your favorite candy) Kamal Reeses Pieces Peanut Butter Cup

3. YOUR DETECTIVE NAME: (favorite color,favorite animal) Purple Bengal Tiger

4. YOUR SOAP OPERA NAME: (middle name, town you grew up in) Gupta Troy (hmmm that sounds more like my driver's license)

5. YOUR STAR WARS NAME: (first 3 letters of your last name, last 3 letters of mother's maiden name, first 3 letters of your pet's name) Herade Bre (I don't have a pet, so I used Brenda, my goldfish again)

6. JEDI NAME: (middle name spelled backwards, your mom's maiden name spelled backwards) atpug edanar

7. SUPERHERO NAME: ("The", your favorite color, the automobile you drive) The Purple Saturn

No comments:

Post a Comment