Thursday, June 9, 2011

Parenting Article

I read a parenting article online today about expectations and was stopped by this quote-

Your child will teach you how to be the parent they need — if you're willing to listen.

Sometimes I wish Sean weren't so shy because he misses out on a lot of fun activities that I know he would enjoy. Although he goes on playdates a few times a week and school a few times a week, he is still very reserved. I myself was shy growing up and I remember my mom pushing me to do things to escape my shyness. Although my mom had good intentions, I don't think any of that pressure helped. There is nothing wrong with being cautious or reserved; it is just a personality trait. There are many positive things that come along with having a cautious child- Sean thinks before he acts, he rarely falls, doesn't wander and loves to hang out with me. Sean is focused and can play with something until he masters it. He would make a trustworthy and loyal friend. I can imagine my husband being like this when he was younger and Matt is the best guy I know.
And so I go back to the snippet above. I expected to have a rambunctious, social boy and I have the opposite. Sean has taught me to be more patient and I enjoy how sweet and thoughtful he is when he picks a flower for me or sits next to me while the other kids are playing. And because of that, I am a better mother to him for not trying to change him one bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment