Thursday, September 11, 2008

Hard to forget

It's hard to forget 9/11 even after 7 years. Although there have been many attacks on American soil, this is the attack of recent times, and prompted the current state of fear of terrorism. I will always remember the moment I heard about the news. I'm sure even kids at the time remember. I was in my stats class in Ann Arbor. A student stopped the discussion, which seemed very rude at the time, and told our professor that we had been attacked. The student had a habit of listening to his radio/mp3 player in class, and how significant was it that he did or my story would have been completely different! Our professor paid no attention and kept teaching class. The student walked out of class and little by little everyone else did before class ended. Walking home from class back to E Quad, I could feel the tension in the air and see it in everyone's eyes. Cell phone networks were busy, the internet jammed and everyone's away messages said "WHAT JUST HAPPENED". Trying to comfort my residents, as an RA, while trying to figure out how much hate someone could have was very hard to do. Campus, our nation, and our world just weren't the same after Sept 11th.

Although I didn't know anyone who died in New York, DC or Pennsylvania on 9/11, I feel affected as an American. I can't imagine what others must be feeling who did have a parent, spouse or child die that day.

2 comments:

  1. I was in A2 on 9/11/01 too! I remember being in my Italian class at the MLB...my professor came in and said that classes were cancelled. There was a distinct tension or static in the air walking back to my dorm from class. I don't think I will ever forget that memory.

    BTW - we really miss you here! The place just isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is crazy that we were not too far away from each other! Yes what a horrible day :(

    I miss all you guys too!

    ReplyDelete