I just finished the documentary "Wordplay," which is an inside look at crossword puzzles. Specifically, it is about the holy grail of crosswords, the NY times, and the people behind it. It's really well done and because I love doing crosswords, it made it that much better. Each person interviewed confessed that they were "dorky" or "nerdy" but it really is an admirable skill to be able to complete the puzzles, especially a Sat or Sun one! The documentary doesn't make fun of any of these people, rather, it identifies "puzzling" as a fun, challenging pastime. It was interesting when they found out that statistically, the best puzzlers have been musicians or mathematicians (such as actuaries, teachers, programmers). Most thought it would be people in the field of English or History because of the vocab and facts, but going about filling a crossword out is methodical and more of a problem solving technique. Honestly, anyone can be a good puzzler if they practice enough. I started in college when Heather and I used to do the LA times almost daily, via the Michigan Daily. I sucked and then just got better and better, and I don't think it's because I do calculus. Anyways, I recommend this documentary to anyone who will appreciate it.
I wonder if there is a way to do the NY Times puzzles while in Michigan. I think there is an online version, but I prefer pen to paper. What was nice at UNL is that they put the Times crossword in the campus paper.
No comments:
Post a Comment